Thursday, January 19, 2012

The New Jim Crow

I love when NPR does author interviews, and recently they talked with Michelle Alexander, author of "The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness"


I found that parts of the book read like a doctoral thesis (please take that with a grain of salt, seeing as I've never read a doctoral thesis). She is often stating and restating the themes, setting up her outline and then summarizing what was stated. So some of that repetition was lost on me. I do have to say the crux of the book was very interesting and eye opening. I thought her analysis to be fair despite it being clear that she is passionate about the issues.

I could say more but I'm not a journalist for NPR and they do a better job with the whole summary and interview thing (no surprise there). All I'll say is you should read the book if you have any interest in social or racial issues in our culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment