Friday, October 28, 2011

eating to live

I'm a vegetarian.

It's about two years and I'm really happy with it. I don't drool over steaks anymore and I honestly want to have this all the time...



To be fair, what falls under my umbrella of 'vegetarian' is often shifting, so I'll outline what it means for me right now...
1. I don't eat meat
2. I do eat meat infused/meat soaked foods (i pick the pieces out of stew and scoop my marinara by expertly dodging meatballs)
3. I do eat fish. sometimes. in restaurants. (some would say "ah ha then you're a pescatarian" but I think the term is pretentious sounding, like "fiance" or people who call out vegetarians as pescatarians)
4. I do not think like a vegetarian when I've been drinking ("honey can you go get me some beef jerky? no no i don't want it. actually yes, can we get it? no. just one stick.")
5. I am not a vegetarian in New Orleans


I won't go into all the arguments behind my decision, but I will recommend a few things that helped me to form this way of life...

1. "Eating Animals" by Jonathan Safran Foer. This book explains the process behind factory farming and how animals are treated.


2. "Forks over Knives" a documentary that explains the benefits of whole food plant based diets
(which is currently on instant streaming on Netflix. AND it will change your life... just ask Ozzie)

he gets the title wrong but we would be surprised if he didn't right?


3. My doctors who encouraged me to eat non-processed foods (which isn't anti-meat but it has contributed greatly to my view of food)

4. I feel better when I don't eat meat. Maybe because it's been out of my system for so long, I don't know, but when I try to go back I get sick.

So now that I realized that it's not depriving or difficult to not eat meat,  I'm trying to figure out if I want to cut out (or at least cut back on) dairy. But vegan seems just so intimidating. Not to mention my favorite food in all the universe is cheese....



what to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment