Saturday, December 29, 2012

and the Best Christmas Movie is...

We completed our Bracket Club Series voting just in time for Christmas (sadly I didn't update until now)... however the truly good ones you can watch all year right?

Our Final Four were "Elf", "Christmas Vacation", "Home Alone" and "Its A Wonderful Life"

After a passionate discussion, we ended up with "Its A Wonderful Life" as the overall victor.

Here's a bunch of little known facts about our winner. And of course a video to honor the second place film... (which I think should have won, but whatever, its over. I'm over it. Attaboy, Clarence, I guess.)


Here is a link to the field of 64 Christmas Movies or Specials, and how things played out.


Guess what, In February our tournament is "Break Up Songs"! So I'll ask you for some input - What are the top 10 best break-up songs? (any answer is taken into account for seeding) 

Now I don't want all of you just saying the obvious winner, I want some variety!

For inspiration, you can check out a great episode on This American Life about break-ups.

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't see that you had already posted a link to "The Rain"! That's obviously the clear winner. I'll go ahead with some alternates, though, just for funnsies:

      2) Little Lion Man - Mumford & Sons
      3) Wild World - Cat Stevens
      4) Stay - Lisa Loeb (So cliche, but I love me some Lisa!)
      5) Don't Speak - No Doubt (So cliche, but I love me some Gwen!)
      6) With Or Without You - U2
      7) How Am I Doin' - Dierks Bentley (From my brief, but distinguished, country music phase.)
      8) F(orget) You - Cee Lo Green
      9) Leave - Swell Season
      10) Ivy - Ryanhood (Which isn't a serious contender, because I'm guessing you and your friends have never heard it - but speaking from personal experience it's probably the best breakup song ever! :))

      Delete
  2. How are you going to reduced this down to 64? You'll have to ban all Taylor Swift songs up front. Here are some from my era...

    1) Hurt - Johnny Cash.
    2) No Woman No Cry - Bob Marley
    3) Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right – Bob Dylan
    4) Two Out of Three Ain't Bad - Meatloaf
    5) Dazed and Confused - Led Zeppelin (Is he breaking up or just complaining about her?)
    6) Angie - Rolling Stones
    7) Piece of My Heart - Janis Joplin
    8) Gold Dust Woman - Fleetwood Mac
    9) Barracuda - Heart
    10) Guaranteed final four pick: I Will Survive - Gloria Gaynor

    7) 3685 - The Spill Canvas (my niece played this endlessly during a visit until I needed Prozac.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You broke me of my silence - I'm usually not one to share my opinions when not directly approached, but you reeled me in with your request for a contribution to your break-up songs list. Although I haven't given any thought for a list, "About Today" by the National is one I thought of immediately, and probably suits your criteria for variety. I love it. Warning: don't listen if you're feeling a little blue already....

    P.S. Gabby and I hope you guys are doing well, and hope you had a nice holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo! Okay another one just popped in my head, and I can't believe I didn't think of this one first - it's even more obvious in my mind: "I know it's over" by the Smiths. A little sappier, but still awesome. See what you've started????

    ReplyDelete
  5. doug both of these songs are so SO good. "About Today" makes me think of "Warrior" - such a powerful song!! and I love the smiths!! I'm so sad we had already put the bracket together because these would definitely beat out some of the others on the list of 64. I'll post the bracket soon to check it out.

    ReplyDelete