Friday, December 14, 2012

Movies of a Lifetime

I knew this time would come in my healing... I feel good enough to add a bunch of things to my schedule, then exhausted enough to do NOTHING during the in-between times.

I see it as great progress that I can help someone get to a doctor's visit, spend hours in a waiting room, and come home without an increase in head pain. (especially because physician waiting rooms are a concussion nightmare)

I see it as an inevitable side effect that after these full days, all I can do is mentally check out and physically crash.

However, when my pain level is low like this - I honestly can't complain about fatigue.

In fact, with these crashes, I decided to make the best of it. I have taken pressure off of blogging something profound- or blogging anything at all (sorry, friends). I have allowed the dust to remain on shelves (sorry, husband). And I settle in for my favorite guilty pleasure....

A little ways back, I said to Neil "We've been married for a while, is there any secret guilty pleasure you have that you don't want people - even me - to know about." And he (alway wise and cautious) said "um, what do you mean?... you go first."

So I confessed to him that I have a deep love for every single Lifetime and Hallmark Holiday Movie. The cheesier the title the better... if the premise is that you think Santa moved into your apartment building than of course its called "Deck the Halls" (and I want to watch it). If an orphan girl, Hope, needs a  miracle, tadaa "Hope for the Holidays"... and don't even get me started on the ones with dogs or weddings.


Of course Neil followed this confession by quickly stating in disgust "oh no. I have nothing like that."

Right now, I am back from a 3 mile run (in under 35 minutes!) and I'm too exhausted to do anything but watch a perfectly predictable christmas movie. Its been a long week.

Don't leave me hanging. Do you have any secret guilty behavior? Do you ever get sucked into the "Its a Wonderful Lifetime" movie selection?

Plus - I need your help - our next bracket club is about Christmas Movies and Specials! So, what are your Top 10 favorite?  (Or Top 5, if you are having a hard time coming up with some. You can include Movies with a Christmas Backdrop, like Die Hard.) Can you believe we got a list well over the field of 64?!? That's a lot of Christmas

6 comments:

  1. Can't believe the lineup doesn't include Holiday in Handcuffs, with Melissa Joan Hart and Mario Lopez.

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0938666/

    Top 10 Movies/Christmas specials is easy:
    1. Charlie Brown Christmas Special
    2. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
    3. How the Grinch Stole Christmas
    4. It's a Wonderful Life
    5. Elf
    6. Santa Claus is Coming to Town
    7. Fat Albert Christmas Special
    8. A Christmas Story
    9. Holiday Inn
    10. Scrooged
    11. Love Actually (Jean would make me include this one.)

    Honorable mention: Home Alone, The Nightmare Before Christmas, White Christmas, Bad Santa

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) Elf
    2) A Christmas Story
    3) National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
    4) Scrooged
    5) It's a Wonderful Life
    6) Miracle on 34th Street (the original, of course)
    7) Love Actually (See also: your question about guilty pleasures)
    8) A Christmas Carol (George C. Scott version)
    9) A Christmas Carol (Muppet version)
    10) The Santa Claus 2 (if only for the epic line, "THE DE-SANTIFICATION PROCESS HAS BEGUN!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This totally made my Monday! My list:

    1. How the Grinch Stole Christmas - original cartoon version of course!
    2. Love Actually
    3. Home Alone
    4. Home Alone 2 - seriously, NY is so funny in the 90s
    5. 4 Christmases
    6. A Christmas Story
    7. The Charlie Brown Christmas Special
    8. White Christmas
    9. Die Hard
    10. Bridget Jones Diary - the Christmas sweaters alone... and the turkey curry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of these lists!! Tom thanks for the heads up about "Holiday in Handcuffs" - you can stream it on Netflix - and the cast is about as mind blowing as the premise of falling in love with the crazed woman that captured you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Em! I am a sucker for ALL sitcoms! I mean all. Reba marathon on the CMT channel, yes please!! Giving 'Designing Women' and 'The Golden Girls' credit for my feminist thought - of course, they helped raise me! I'm a sucker and I love my extended (TV Character) families!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE "Holiday in Handcuffs." I watched it on youtube, because we don't have cable...it's so good! Best lifetime Christmas movie yet. :o)

    ReplyDelete