Thursday, September 6, 2012

A good man, a horrible act

(This is Neil filling in for Em while she rests tonight....we just felt the need to post about this)

I am not sure if you have seen this story in the news but a horrible act was committed in what appears to be a road rage incident against a biker.  The biker is our friend Colin.  You may have heard this name before specifically about our friend Colin, his wife Carina and their house on Fairmount Street.... because their house had burnt to the ground last July.  

A tragic event like this almost leaves me at a loss for words.  All I can say is what I know for sure which is that Colin is a good man.  Despite all that they have been through he never lost his kindness, positive spirit and his faith.  I can not stop thinking about this because such a tragic event should never happen to such a great person.

I wasn't there. I didn't see what started this incident (not that it matters).  But I can guarantee that no wrong was done on his part and I am as sure of this as I can be of anything.  The character of this man is enough to make me fully stand behind that belief.  All I can hope is that the Lord can give them strength and calm the nerves of their family as Colin heals from this heinous act.

They were asked what they needed because so many people want to do what they can to help.  The only thing they said that they wanted was prayer.  So you can bet your a** that is what we will continue to do and I encourage you to do the same.

However, for those of you that are compelled to do more I can tell you this.  They have a website that is still set up from the fire that burned their home down a little over a year ago


You can go to the "Ways to Help Give" tab and in the left hand column there is a donate button which will link you to their pay pal account. Em spoke with a friend that saw Colin this afternoon. He said this would be an acceptable way to contribute to them at this time.  

I know that Colin has health care that will help with their coverage but with the potential additional medical expenses and the fact that he may not be able to work for awhile I am sure that any help would go a long way in supporting Colin and his family during his recovery.

There is no simple way to end this post so I am just going to stop here and do all that I can at this moment, pray.....

*additional note: update on colin is in the comments section and here are a few more news stories for you if you're interested...
http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/local/mans-throat-slashed-south-side-attack/nR4cx/

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/local/neighborhoods-city/police-release-description-of-bicyclists-attacker-652369/

we still can't fathom this could happen

3 comments:

  1. Any updates on Colin? I hope he is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They want to keep any specifics about his condition private (there's a pending investigation) but I talked with a few people that have visited and I spoke with Carina - I believe its okay for me to share that they are in good spirits right now and appreciative of prayers. He is stable. (if you want to know more please feel free to email me)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, the new information passed along is that the detectives are now encouraging sharing.... the more we share the better - in hopes people will hear something or see something and maybe have a better chance of catching the guy who did this horrible act.

    The description released is a Caucasian male in his twenties driving a two door grey sedan.

    Colin is doing well. He survived as a miracle. the laceration in his throat was extensive (it was 3mm away from his carotid) and he suffered multiple stab wounds in the head and body.
    He came through surgery fine and he's doing well. He's still dizzy from loss of blood but he's able to sit up and even stand.

    He will need physical therapy and he will miss work for a while but he has pulled through (quite incredibly)! They really are amazing people and I can't speak more highly of them.

    If anyone hears anything about this they are to call the homicide unit at 412 323 7161

    ReplyDelete