Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Random Word Generator: A Love Story

Sometimes Neil and I play a game of sorts with each other where one of us will say a word - any word - and the other one then tells the fist story that comes to mind related to that word.

It started one sunset on vacation when we pulled chairs up to the ocean's edge and just talked, inching them back as the tide came in. We wanted to hear stories we didn't know (something that seemed hard seeing as we've known each other since kindergarten). This silly little game magically drew them out...



"Door"
...'ha. Have I ever told you about the time in college your cousin and I kicked a door in?"

"Bread"
..."that makes me think of my Gram. Have I ever really described her kitchen to you? I loved it so much!"

and on we'd go - car rides, long walks - "Elephant", "Lemonade"

There's so much to learn about a person.

This next part might seem like a non-sequitur but I promise I'll come around in my thought...

I joined twitter a few months ago and I've been underwhelmed. Maybe its because I only followed a few things and those cooking/running/sports things seem to just tell the same stories. Maybe I just haven't tapped into twitter's potential.

So today I tried something new. I said a random word to twitter and it generated a story back to me...
part of it funny, part thoughtful, part informative.

"Cardboard"
...@SquidwardTweets "I just saw two homeless men hitting each other with pieces of cardboard. pillow fight?"
...@MarieClaireId "'Women should look like women. A piece of cardboard has no sexuality' - Alexander McQueen -"
...@OMGfacts "Monty Python and the Holy Grail's budget was so small, some castles were made out of cardboard!"

"Bagel"
...@bulls_horns "People that shop at Whole Foods think they're all that and a bag of bagel chips."
...@dbonesallday "I want to go back to the simple days, the bagel bite days..."
...@benny_clegg "Scary fact: eating a bagel is the same as eating 6 slices of bread"

I feel like I just hit the refresh button on my relationship with Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment