Tuesday, January 17, 2012

looking forward

There are a lot of things I'm looking forward to in 2012! too many for one post. so we'll call this the "Entertainment Edition" and here is the (incomplete) list of things I just can't wait to see/hear/read in the coming year...

SMITTEN KITCHEN COOKBOOK
My absolute favorite blog has been Smitten Kitchen, and after what has felt like years, Deb has finally sent off the pages of her cookbook... now we just wait for it to hit the shelves! I made a pact with myself not to buy any new books this year, which makes this news especially hard to swallow. My darling husband offered to film himself reading the book to me as a loophole to having me purchase the book. (yes, I want it that badly)

that changed my life, not for the healthier


SOME ASSEMBLY REQUIRED, BY ANNE LAMOTT
If I had a favorite living author - it would be Anne. In college we would take turns reading parts of her books to each other on road trips (is that not normal? it seemed normal at the time). At one point I mailed 9 copies of her book "Traveling Mercies" to my closest girl cousins with personalized notes saying something along the lines of "Read this. Or else..." Her books - largely the nonfiction writings - are the ones I return to again and again, and I refer to them like old friends. And this year she'll come out with another nonfiction novel!! This time about the experience of becoming a grandmother. I'm freaking out (is that not normal?)



T.I. "TROUBLE MAN"
I have a deep love for T.I.'s album "Paper Trail" which he wrote while on house arrest. This newest album (release date uncertain but I keep hearing it will be SOON!) was the product of 10 months in the slammer and then time on the home front with family (hello, VH1 reality show) and friends (the collaboration on this record is insane). Not to mention, "Trouble Man" is inspired by a 1972 Marvin Gaye song with the same title. Based on the few leaked songs we got so far, s'gonna be good!

ANDREW BIRD "BREAK IT YOURSELF"
I don't know how one becomes a professional whistler but I have to respect the title when I see it. It's been a while since I've spent time with Mr Bird and I have to admit, I'm really looking forward to this March when it will be happening again.

DR. DRE "DETOX"
It seems like I'm looking forward to this every year, and every year it's release is somehow postponed. But I guess when you're a badass physician like Dre you can do what you like and we will all patiently await your genius. (but seriously, it better come out this year)

I'm not the only frustrated fan - other people are so sick of waiting
they're are making fake album covers


FRIENDS WITH KIDS
Usually I don't like when I see the formulaic repeat of cast members in movie after movie (see Adam Sandler movies, then Ben Stiller movies, then Will Farrell moives, then Seth Rogan movies) but the minute I saw this trailer, I was all about a repeat of as much of the cast of Bridesmaids as possible. yes please!



LES MISERABLE
One of my all time favorite books and musicals is (once again) being made into a movie. Its set to come out in December and it has Huge Jackmon, Russell Crowe, and Anne Hathaway!

LIFE OF PI
Another beloved book that's being made into a movie (also to be released in December). I'm so intrigued by this one. I don't want to give away the story here, but I can't wait to see how director Ang Lee decides to work that plot twist into the films. Don't you think it will be just beautiful and thrilling to see this come to life?

and the piece de resistance....

MOONRISE KINGDOM
I'm a huge Wes Anderson dork. I love everything he touches. I recite obscure lines from Bottle Rockets. I regularly check his IMDB page, just to see what he's up to. And I have big news people - he's up to things!! On May 16th I'll get to wait in line to watch a late showing of this gem called Moonrise Kingdom. And remember that thing I said about disdain for repeat casting - it never applied to him. Bill Murray can do whatever he wants (and in this trailer, he wields a gun. and throws a shoe.) New to the Anderson team - Bruce Willis!! Ed Norton!! There's even a character named "lazy eye". I feel as though it could not be possible for me to be happier than I am right now.


This is just the tip of the iceberg (I didn't even get into Dicaprio playing Gatsby or Kid Cudi's third try at greatness). And I'm always taking suggestions for book club reads, new albums, and movie dates in the coming year!

2 comments:

  1. Emily, I've been reading your blog on this slow day from the 2/7/12 posts back until I found this one. You've written so many insightful and open things, but this is my favorite. Can I wait with you at midnight to see the new Wes Anderson too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I wouldn't have it any other way!! And since Neil and Kate aren't fans of Wes, they get the ultimatum: three months to fall in love or they stay home with the kids.

      Delete