Monday, January 23, 2012

National Pie Day

Today is National Pie Day and the dork in me is upset that no one thought to make this holiday on March 14th  (as in 3.14, as in pi, as in... oh you get it? just not amused? okay)


I can chalk that date thing up as a missed opportunity because really, how long can one be mad at the Pie Community - especially when they get so many things right.

I'm having a nostalgic, emotional, sleep deprived kind of day and as a result I'm thinking about my Gram. She was the best cook I knew and she made pies weekly (if not more). I can close my eyes and draw out details of her huge, warm kitchen... her skilled hands pinching off perfectly sized rolls from a mound of dough or record breaking ability to peel potatoes with a paring knife. The memories are spotty and always pleasant, but we were a wild bunch of kids and I have been told that she swatted us with a rolling pin more than once. (funny, I blocked that part out)

One of my most beloved wedding presents was the very same well worn rolling pin she used for so many years and a stack of her glass pie dishes. It was a passing of the torch, if you will.  And since I don't have my Gram with me anymore, I feel like channeling her spirit by making a pie.

I'd love to post a picture of a wonderful lattice crust dessert and say that's exactly what my fully functioning adult self accomplished today... but I can't lie. I didn't even cook with a microwave today - I ate cold pasta for dinner.

Instead of connecting with my Grandmother in the kitchen, I felt a closeness to her today while I was at the hospital, sitting by her son (my father). He had a rather intense and pretty risky surgery and aside from a great deal of blood loss - which can be replaced - he came through okay. It was an answer to much prayer and after a long tough road we, as a family, breathed a sigh of relief at the hope that lies ahead.

And I know if Gram were still here she would be at peace. She also would've had her sh*t together (unlike a certain granddaughter) and she probably would have had a cherry cobbler cooling on the counter for when I got home.

No comments:

Post a Comment