Monday, March 19, 2012

I Remember the Days

This time when Common released his new album, I was hardly excited. That's a far fall from the days when he was my favorite rapper.

My husband has a theory about an increase in popularity and a decrease in shelf life in the rap world. It goes something like this - they gain notice for talking about real issues and problems, get rich, and prove their new status by rapping about opulence and elitism.  And no one loves opulence and elitism.

On a much less intelligent level, I just miss the Common that made "Be." I never wanted the guy that puts on a flat ironed wig, works Jen Aniston into rhymes, and promotes a terrible autobiography. 


When I was all but done with Lonnie Rashid Lynn, Neil still had the patience to hear more. He bought the newest album "The Dreamer/The Believer " and had it playing in his car, which left me with no choice but to give it a chance. 

If you had told me there was a track titled "lovin i lost",  I would have gone on an even longer rant about my drift of feelings... I would not have guessed it would be so good. 

And its so so good. I can't say the same for the rest of the album (I haven't listened to it yet), but track 6 feels like the old Common again, when I was in love with his music. 

Oh yes, I remember, I remember the days.




No comments:

Post a Comment